Given the continuous advent of capitalism, one fundamental aspect of our materialistic life is the huge range of options. From the basic cup of coffee to a complex machinery like a lawn mower, the scope and variation are, at times, absolutely mind-numbing. In that situation, how do you decide what options to choose from? As we have reiterated time and again, the budget and the efficiency of the lawn mower continue to be key factors.
Another important aspect is the features of a mower. No talk about the features of a mower is complete without a mention of the reel and rotary mowers. While rotary mowers provide a far more even cut, reel mowers are a lot easier to push around. Well here is a quick review of the key features of each type and I am sure this will surely help in letting you arrive at a decision and work out the most cost and energy efficient deal for yourself. The electric lawn mower will actually be discussed in another post.
Rotary Mower: The Top Features
- Quality of Cut: Regular users would agree with me that a rotary lawn mower provides a far more event cut and the attach bag even collects tree leaves, twigs and other debris that might be lying around. The lawn is literally vacuum-cleaned and has a neat and tidy look with all the grass at a uniform level.
- Enhanced Reach: Given the extended blade swings even behind the normal wheel tracks, it is possible to even tend to the adjoining fencing, tree-trunks, flower beds and even the ground covers in your garden using this type of mower.
- Motorized mowers: However a rotary mower almost inevitably means that it will be mechanized and will be accompanied by a lot of noise and vibration. Needless to mention it gives off various environmental pollutants like carbon dioxide and needs gasoline or oil to run on most of the times. Though you have electrical and battery generated options too but they can’t be termed as completely green either. Moreover, the battery operated ones often need their batteries to be replaced quite often and turn out to be rather an expensive proposition.
- High Speed: Though a high-speed mower can be termed as a major advantage in terms of mowing, but often it is a safety hazard too, especially for your toes which are at proximity with the blade.
Reel Mower: Primary Features
- Lightweight: One of the most striking features of the modern reel mowers is that unlike their past cousins, these are relatively lightweight avatars and designed in a way that they can be pushed around easily than even a powered rotary mower.
- No Pollution: Reel mowing never exposes you to unnecessary nose, annoying vibration and breathing in harmful gases emitted by the rotary mowers. It is clean, quiet and a significantly more environmental friendly option to clip your lawns.
- Scissor Cut The Grasses: The technique that a reel mower uses is called scissor cut and what it does is to cut the grasses in a far cleaner way as compared to the rotary cut which simply whips them. As the scissor-cut clippings go back to the soil, the nutrient content of the soil naturally improves.
- Clipping Wet Grass: Given the technique that these mowers use, it is possible to clip them even in a wet condition quite unlike a rotary mower which will clog and lead to uneven clipping in wet grass.
Trampling Woes: Many reel mowers have a roller that unnecessarily tramples the grass giving it an unfinished, shabby look even after a session of clipping and mowing. You inevitably get a ridged lawn even after a tedious mowing session.