My friend Emma came over last night so we decided to cook up a vegan feast for dinner, after some internet research we decided to make a quiche, some ice cream balls from the Your Vegan Mom blog and ginger beer from the Vegan Swedes. We called the quiche 'Beaver Quiche' as that's what my partially deaf brother thought we were saying (haha). And this is how we made it:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and start by rolling out the pastry, covering your quiche tin and cutting round the edges (leaving extra for shrinkage).
- Bake for around ten minutes in the oven, then leave to cool. Then make your caramelised onions by sweating the onions for a few minutes and adding the sugar to caramelise. Once all the sugar has dissolved add the balsamic vinegar and reduce down.
- When they're ready spread half of the onions along the pastry, add the broccoli to the remaining of the onions and cook on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
- While the broccoli and onions are cooking make the filling by putting the tofu, spices, herbs, salt, pepper and milk into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the filling to the onions and broccoli and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until a knife popped in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve with some seasonal veg (we had grilled asparagus and mustard mash) and enjoy!