After trying an amazing fried tofu and chili sandwich made by Emma vegan herself I decided to try my own version in wrap form.
If I'm buying lunch out I always end up in a sandwich dilema, shop brought veggie sandwiches are usually heavily reliant on cheese or egg or something else super boring. My favourite sandwich used to be the Thin Lizzie from Fresh (smoked tofu, chilli jam, mixed & alfalfa sprouts and rocket) but they've stopped doing it in boots, I don't understand why because It is quite litrelly the best sandwich EVER. So this wrap is my replacement until I discover how to smoke tofu like a pro, it turned out to be pretty tasty and kind of filled the hole that the thin lizzie left in my heart.
For 1 wrap you'll need:
80g firm tofu, drained and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp water
3 tbsp corn flour
A handful of mixed salad leaves
A handful of spinach
More sweet chili sauce for drizzling
- Make up a marinade by mixing together the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and water in a shallow bowl.
- Put the tofu in to the bowl and mix well so that it gets well coated in the marinade, then leave in the fridge for an hour or so.
- After the tofu has marinated, heat some olive oil in a frying pan, coat the tofu pieces in corn flour and place them in the pan.
- Keep turning the tofu so that all the sides get nice and browned.
- Once golden brown all over, remove the tofu from the pan and leave to cool on a bed of kitchen roll to remove the excess oil.
- Then get your wrap out, put the salad and spinach in the middle and then top with the cooled tofu.
- Drizzle with as much sweet chili sauce as you want, then roll it up like a burrito (with the bottom and top tucked in so it doesn't explode when you go to eat it) and enjoy!
P.s If you're making these for work, school, uni etc you can make lots of tofu and store it in a air tight container to use another day