I only just discovered that cavolo nero was also called dinosaur kale, which makes me want to eat it 100 times more because I freaking love dinosaurs. I was so excited to find it in Morrisons that I did an actual out loud 'ooooooohhh'.
25g/2 handfuls of finely sliced cavolo nero
1 leek finely sliced
100g macaroni (or similar pasta)
150g grated cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degreess, then put cavolo nero into a steamer and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking add the leeks to the cavolo nero and start boiling the pasta, when the timer is up drain the pasta and vegetables and set to one side.
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a pan, then mix in the flour to make a roux.
- Slowly add the milk and keep whisking over a low heat until it thickens.
- Once nice and thick add 100g of the grated cheese and whisk in until it is all melted in.
- Put the vegetables and pasta in to a medium sized pasta dish and mix in the cheese sauce.
- Top with the remaining grated cheese and pop in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When it's all crispy on the top and bubbling it's ready! Enjoy!