Vegan fish and chips wasn't the only thing I tried at Lushfest, I also tried veggie bacon for the first time (well, not according to my Mum, but the first time I can remember). Before actually trying it I had already decided that veggie bacon was something from my nightmares. It looks super weird and I don't actually like the smell of bacon or the thought of ever eating it so had just disregarded it until now.
To make 2:
200g drained tofu (I also find it's better if it's been frozen and defrosted) cut in to a circular shape (the same size as the muffin)
a very large pinch of salt and pepper
50g plain flour
A large glug of olive oil
4 rashers of redwoods bacon rashers
2 English muffins
- Put the turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper on to a plate then pop the tofu on top, flip it over and make sure its well coated all over, then do the same with the flour and make sure it's well coated.
- Pour your olive oil in to a frying pan and turn up to a high heat, then place your tofu egg into the pan.
- Fry on each side until golden brown then turn the heat right down.
- Cook your bacon rashers in a separate pan to your liking (we used a griddle pan for a few minutes for a bit of crunch).
- Then toast your muffin, butter (I mean vegan marge) it up, place your tofu egg on then your bacon and complete your Bacon Tegg Hefmuffin with it's little muffin hat.
- We served ours up with garlicy spinach and mushrooms (I love Emma enough to accept them on my plate when she's around) and loads of tomato ketchup. YUM.